A client called last night asking this question. I want to share the answer in hopes it helps keep your dog safe.

My dog just ate rat poison. What do I do?

Rodenticide poisoning is the accidental ingestion of products used to kill rodents such as mice, rats and gophers. These products are common and accidental exposure happens frequently. Poisoning is most commonly caused by ingestion of a product containing one of the following ingredients: bromethalin, cholecalciferol (Vitamin D3), strychnine, zinc phosphide and anticoagulants (such as warfarin, fumarin, chlorophacinone, diphacinone, pindone, bromadiolone, brodaficoum).

The impact on the poisoned animal varies depending on the type of poison ingested. An animal may develop a bleeding disorder, neurological problems, gastrointestinal distress or kidney failure. In some cases, rodenticide poisoning is fatal.

Here is a good article on PetPlace.com that talks more about rodenticide poisoning in dogs and here is also an article for cats. 

If your pet got into a poison – call us and plan to bring in your pet asap.

Also bring the box or packaging of what was ingested.